Good morning darlings!
...Small side note before we get to things today: This Wednesday is week 7 of the Fresh Foods Blog Hop! I'd love to see all the fresh, seasonal nom-noms (did I just say "nom-noms"?) you're cooking and receiving from your farmer's market excursions, CSA hauls, front or back yard gardens, etc... The linky goes live on Wednesday at midnight EST - so make sure you come by and link up some of your amazing posts! FYI: Even if you don't have a blog and want to participate, you still can. Come back Wednesday to find out how!...
I have a confession to make to you: I am absolutely in love with food. Like you couldn't tell, right?
But I don't mean "love" like love - I mean, like, total and complete annihilationistic kind of obsessive compulsive must-do-now-or-die love.
I live to eat.
Actually, John and I were talking on our way home from brunch yesterday and he half-jokingly stated that I need a whole other clock to dictate times of the day. There would be a color block for breakfast, one for second breakfast, another for lunch, yet another for my daily afternoon nap, one for dinner, and one more for bed time. Because really, I spend about 98% of my free time planning meals, cooking, eating and of course, after the inevitable post-food drowsiness sets in, sleeping. The other 2% is reserved for reading, pooing, and transportation. Not all at the same time.
It's a hard life.
I love to eat. And to sleep. And to eat.
Which is why, after my trip to Toronto a couple weeks ago, I felt the need to recreate some of the dishes that inspired me so. I've already prepared this condiment and put it in this recipe, and now I have one more dish that I seriously just could not stop thinking about. Well, two more. But one is for here and the other for sister blog, Taste Buds. Interestingly, all 4 recipes were brought on by two dinners at the restaurant, Luma. If you're in Toronto at all, give them a pop by and mow down my friends because it is by far, one of my new favorite restaurants and I am sure that if you like fresh, seasonal, local cuisine, you're gonna fall and fall hard. Like Die Hard hard.
(printable recipe) - serves 4.
4 5oz Pieces of Fresh Halibut (you can sub any white fish for a cheaper version but IMO, nothing beats a good piece of halibut), patted dry and seasoned well on both sides with salt and pepper.
1 1/2 Lb. New Potates (I used a combination of French Fingerling; Dutch AnaBells; Purple Viking), halved or quartered if very big.
2 C Fresh Shelling Peas, shelled.
Grilling Onions or Leeks, very thinly sliced with a mandolin.
2 Tbsp Butter, room temperature.
1 Lemon, for juice.
3 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar.
3 + 2 Tbsp Good Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
2 Tsp Dried Oregano.
Small Handful of Fresh Parsley, roughly chopped.
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard.
1/2 C Dry White Wine.
Coarse Sea Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper.
What to Do:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat with a good pinch of salt and the potatoes. Boil until just fork tender and not falling apart. Drain and set aside.
As the potatoes boil, make the dressing by putting the lemon juice, vinegar, 3 Tbsp of olive oil, oregano, parsley, Dijon, and a good helping of salt and pepper in a container or mason jar. Cover and shake well. Taste - add more flavor if it needs it. Set aside and allow the flavors to develop.
*In a cast iron pan, heat the remaining 2 Tbsp of oil and 1 Tbsp of butter over medium heat. Once the butter starts to sizzle add the fish, skin side down if applicable and brown about 3-4 minutes. Flip. Continue to cook a further 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside on a wire rack, cover with foil.
As the fish rests, toss the other Tbsp of butter in the pan along with the onions or leeks and shelled peas. Stir. Add the dressing you made earlier and the wine. Turn the heat down to medium-low and allow to simmer for about 4 minutes or until the liquor cooks out of the wine. Add the potatoes and heat through for about 30 seconds.
Serve with a big heaping ladle or two of the veggies and top with fish.
*It is important to take the fish out of the fridge 20-30 minutes before you cook it to ensure there won't be cold spots. This will make sure it cooks evenly.
What do you love to do?
This post is linked up with The Hearth & Soul Blog Hop via the 21st Century Housewife; Tasty Tuesdays; Slightly Indulgent Tuesday; Tuesday Talent Show; Cast Party Wednesday; Whole Foods Wednesday; Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways; Tastetastic Thursday; Full Plate Thursday; Showcase Your Talent Thursday; Keep it Real Thursdays; Foodie Friday; Fight Back Friday; Fresh Bites Friday; Wellness Weekend.